I guest wrote a blog post for Department Store which I thought I'd share here too:
You may already be at the stage where you've transformed your idea into a successful business venture or perhaps its still an idea floating at the back of your mind. Nevertheless, you're wondering what's next? Where do I go from here and how to I grow my business? Below we've spoken to illustrator, print designer and entrepreneur Jacqueline Colley who built her business into the wonderful studio it is today. Sharing her own experiences and advice, we find out top tips on how designers can grow and perhaps more importantly nurture their small businesses.
P: What's a influential experience you've remembered in your career?
J: 2 years ago I took part in UAL's Showcase at Pulse, the experience was really eye opening and led me to realise that I could sell my designs as products. This year I will be taking part in Pulse in May as a fully fledged exhibitor and I'm looking forward to learning a whole new set of lessons!
Could you give our readers some tips on how to grow their business?
J: "Sure! Here's my list..
1. Take part in events, I regularly do markets which helps me find new customers, meet amazing people and open doors to collaborations.
2. Social media, is a great way to connect with other creatives and learn from those ahead of you. Selling yourself the best way possible is key!
3. Collaborate, although this may be scary, just go for it. You have nothing to loose! Working with a like minded brand creates a new challenge and broadens your audience.
4. Diversity. I've found that adapting my designs into different products helps grow my brand.
5. Keep making new work, with everything else going on it can be hard to find the time but this is why I started my own business so one of my key motivations!"